After donning their princess pjs or oversized t-shirts, the girls climb into our big bed and snuggle down, ready for their nighttime playlist. They each get to pick two songs and Mommy and Daddy proceed to channel everyone from Darlene to Dorothy.
***
For some reason Lainey always holds us accountable when we are singing Dorothy...holding Daddy accountable is really the story here and I so wish I had a video to put right here!! Kev will start off in his regular voice, sounding quite manly. As manly as a man can sound while singing, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." Lainey will stop him after the first line shouting, "Daddy sing it like Dorothy!" On command, Daddy will switch to his hilariously charming falsetto and sing the rest of the song like a prepubescent choir boy.
Sometimes I will be in the kitchen getting their milk and I will hear him start the song...I pause... wait for it...ahhhh, there it is. Kevin going into the stratosphere.
***
I smile. I do love our nights as a family.
Other top songs on the girls' nighttime playlist includes:
*1) Somewhere Out There
*2) "The deer song" (As The Deer)
*3) I Love You Lord
*4) Tear Down the Walls
*5) We Exalt Thee (which always prompts Lainey to ask, "What does 'exalted' mean?" She's asked so many times, it's a game now, and she will answer herself, "LIFTED UP!" as she raises her arms up over her cute little curly head.)We end our concert with "The Lord's Prayer" and a prayer over each of the girls...and for Natalie's husband, of course. She's been asking us to pray for her husband for over 6 mos. She always ends with, "Let me dream about him and him about me." Not kidding. The girl's relationship with her Creator brings me tears on a regular basis.
So tonight we mixed it up and Mommy and Daddy performed the bedtime songs with "mics" on our "stage", then the girls asked to take the stage. Here's a video of the sweetness...
Goodnight Sweetheart!
(Another song sometimes on the rotation.)